Monday, November 29, 2010

A Feast of Becca Proportions

I've had sundry ideas about posts over the last few weeks; I've just been too lazy to actually write them. You know what that means? A single post dedicated to more topics than anyone should be able to digest in one sitting! Please, consider this my Thanksgiving gift to you. A tasty array of subjects that you'll visit, fill your plate, stuff yourself senseless, and repeat!

1) I'm wearing a BYU-Idaho hoodie. Despite the fact that I attend the southern Brigham Young University (and it being 27 balmy degrees Fahrenheit), today my outerwear consists only of a navy blue hoodie sporting the logo of my older siblings' school. Here's my reasoning: A hoodie made for students attending Frozen Wasteland University must be a thousand times warmer and more effective than any other coat, hoodie, or parka (excepting coats and parkas made for BYU-I students, of course). Is it working? Pretty much, yeah.

2) The Turn of the Century. I was at work (BYU Broadcasting, "monitoring" TV), vaguely watching some sort of Education Week discourse about health and nutrition when the woman said something that caught my attention.

"The Atkins Diet became very popular at the turn of the century..."

My first thought was: "Wait, what? No it wasn't. It was popular late 90's, early 2000's. I was alive for that one. Turn of the century? What is she on about?"

And then I realized that "Turn of the Century" can be applied to the early 21st century. To be honest, I got a little depressed that the phrase won't be associated with bustles and spats anymore.

3) Rice. I'm a rice fiend. I probably should have been born an Asian, cos I could eat rice all the live long day, every live long day.

Have you ever looked at a rice field? Not very appetizing. Especially when the workers don't wear shoes. Then it's gross. But somehow I can't equate the solid deliciousness of rice with the ickyness of the fields. Oh well.

4) Third World Countries. I'm taking an anthropology class this semester, and then whole time I've wondered about anthropological studies. Think about it. We leave our own "advanced" culture to study people we think are less developed. What if the people in third world countries did the same?

[The following is an excerpt from the anthropological journal of Gai, a Bushman studying the Utah Mormons]

Today I participated in a cultural ritual that involved singing, very little eating, and crying women. They called it "Sacrament Meeting." The men wore silly things around their necks which had no purpose whatsoever. When asked, they seemed bewildered that anyone would question the authority of the "tie." The men and women were separated for different meetings. The children were left to the less fortunate men and women to be taught the traditions of their people, some of which involving "popcorn trees" and "snowmen." (I am trying my best to understand these people, but really? Snowmen?)

I'm pretty sure there are tons of books circulating third world countries filled with amused studies of us first world snobs.

5) The Croatian waterfalls of the Plitvice Lakes. I was at work, watching "Rick Steves' Europe" when I saw the most beautiful national park! It's called the Plitvice Lakes National Park and it is gorgeous. Behold!

I've been to my fair share of national parks, but that is something else! Croatia is now on my list of places to go before I die.

6) My Grandma Dottie. My Grandma Dottie is totally my best friend. My family spent Thanksgiving at my maternal parents' house, and I was once again reminded of her awesomeness. She was cracking jokes the whole time, poking fun at my mom, telling hilarious stories about my grandpa, the whole nine yards. She and I are two peas in a pod; we both love making pies, and we both love making jokes.

When we were in Idaho a few months ago for my nephew's blessing, she and I were sitting together on the couch while my sister-in-law's family were singing for us (at my dad's request). And we laughed the whole time. I can't even remember what was so funny, but she was giggling and I was snorting and everyone was looking at us like we were on crack. My little brother Seth finally had to sit between us to get us to knock it off. It was only partially effective.

Well, that's it. Aren't you in a coma yet? No? Have some pie.

2 comments:

Brandon said...

The perspective of an outsider looking at LDS culture is always interesting. Snowmen, indeed.

Dottie is pretty much the best grandma ever, yes. Don't tell.

anjuli said...

I've been to Croatia, lovely country. Actually it was Yugoslavia at the time, but we stayed in Zagreb, which is now in Croatia.

And someone told me last night that I have the same mannerisms as my mother, your grandma Dottie. I am highly honored. She is the best.

Love, Aunt Karen