Monday, September 13, 2010

Things I've Learned Living on My Own

This is totally NOT a soul-searching, deep, meaningful post. Here is an example of what I will not be posting---

In the past two weeks I've learned who I am; a strong, resilient, adaptable young woman who is a pillar of integrity among young women.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING. Y'all are not reading this for that kinda jank. So here we go; more valuable, more hilarious things I've learned while living on my own.

1) Produce actually goes bad. I know, you're wondering what kind of weird family I come from. (My mom is probably shaking her head right now.) But in my family when we get produce, like apples and carrots and stuff, it is gone by the following week at the latest.

So before I moved in my mom took me shopping, and I totally loaded up on produce. It was wonderful. And then all of a sudden my blueberries were growing stuff on them. What the heck? Produce goes rotten? What's up with that?

2) Three girls shedding > five dogs shedding. Seriously? Our bathroom floor looks like a hair salon. We could keep all the the loose hairs and make several wigs.

3) Biking is a great way to quell speeding. I have the need for speed. If it's fast and kinda dangerous, I'm all over it. Driving a car is hard for me because I always want to go at least ten over the speed limit. Which has landed me two tickets ($300 in all) and a near suspension of my license.

Biking is the cure! If you want to go fast, you have to work for it. And you definitely can not get ticketed for speeding on a bike. As far as I know. Also, going downhill is the bomb. I love that rush.

Also, no chance of Freshman Fifteen for me! Yes!

4) Cooking for less than nine people is hard. I'm still having a hard time adjusting servings and portions. I'm used to doubling, if not tripling, the recipe; what is this halving the recipe?

5) And yet three girls eat a LOT. No bull. I made an apple pie last night and it was gone when I got home at five today. What. The. Heck. A 9" apple pie! And today Kerri and I ate chicken cordon bleus and an entire acorn squash for dinner. We almost exploded.

6) One bathroom is NOT enough. I know, I know. Typical girl complaint. But really, on Sunday mornings it's killer when you have to go to the bathroom and someone's in the bathroom showering or doing their hair AND THE DOOR IS LOCKED. I almost punched a hole through the wall on one occasion.

7) Not having friends is okay. I have the most chill roommates in the history of the universe. So we mostly just end up sitting in our apartment doing homework and randomly talking to each other. The running gag between Kerri and me right now is how we don't have any friends and how we don't really need to keep our apartment neat because no one ever comes to visit us.

8) Singles wards are boring. I miss my Sunbeams and Nursery kids. What is Sacrament Meeting without that one kid who won't stop screaming? Good heavens.

9) I'm still a dork. I found the Liberty's Kids TV show on Netflix and geeked out like a moron. I love kids' shows and I especially love historic kids' shows. DORK.

That's all. I'm not going to post a #10. So hah. If I think of anything else funny/insightful, I'll blog it. Until then, I remain,

Modern Jo

PS- Angela Lansbury is amazing. She's terrifying in The Manchurian Candidate.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Don't worry that screaming child is MY child- Jack- throughout the whole of sacrament meeting. You'll be back in it soon enough. :)

Mandi said...

And it's even worse when it's Fast and Testimony meeting, and there's no little kid's screams to hide your tummy rumbles. Embarrassing!