Saturday, September 18, 2010

The "M" Word

Last Sunday Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles held a fireside for the 18-30 demographic of church members. I was privileged to be one of the (relative) few who were in the Marriott Center where it was being filmed and broadcasted.

I love Elder Scott! I know we're not supposed to have favorites coz, hello, they're all prophets of God, but he is definitely up there on my personal list.

So to say I hated the talk would be misleading. It was more...heavy-handed. When asked about said talk, a BYU coed put it this way:

"We all have to get married. Tonight."

Marriage is a wonderful, beautiful, hard thing. I definitely plan on getting married............just not right now. When I'm nineteen. Just graduated from high school.

I mean, I can barely take care of myself! How on earth am I supposed to be able to take care of a husband?

[Open scene: BECCA approaches door of quaint apartment, dressed in classy 50's housewife attire. She fishes the key from her attractive clutch and opens the door.]

BECCA: Hullo, darling! I'm home!

[Her hand gropes for a light switch; however the light only reveals a horrifying sight.]

BECCA: Darling?

[HUSBAND FIGURE is lying belly-up on the living room floor, reminiscent of a dead goldfish (you know the look)]

BECCA: Oh....fuffernoggin! I forgot to feed him! Poor, poor darling. Well, I suppose I'll just have to flush him and find a new one.

[Cut scene]

Pretty grim, eh? Nevertheless, despite it being a prominent topic at church, firesides, and devotionals, I just want everyone to know it's not all we talk about at BYU. Sometimes we talk about the Gospel, too; just not as often.






(Dear Mother, this is for you. Stop misquoting Queen Gertrude from Hamlet! I know you're doing it, so knock it off.)

1 comment:

HappyDay_KT said...

Whatever dude, your husband is just an exhausted BYU student. At least check his pulse before the proposed "flush". He deserves a kiss for actually making it to the apartment to sleep.