Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Eastern philosophy is the pants

Today's message comes from the very depths of my being. Are you ready for this?

TAKE A CHILL PILL, WESTERNERS. LIFE WILL BE OKAY.

We're studying Eastern philosophy in my Scholar class (Taoism, Hinduism, Buddhism, etc.), and it made me realize how lame we Westerners are.

For instance, in the bagavadghita (the Hindu text) Krishna explains to Arjuna that people shouldn't be attached to things or outcomes, but the means, if they are going to have peace.

The Tao says the same thing: don't fight the current of the Universe. It knows what It's doing. Whatever happens happens, so just go with the flow.

But no, Westerners have to do it their own way. Fight! Struggle! Independence! Must own everything! Gotta be uptight about stupid things like money and grades! Stress until your face blows up!

Relax, people. You can't fight the Universe.

...hold on. Do I hear some readers gasping at my use of the Universe? Am I actually referencing HEATHEN TEXTS?

Chill.There's truth in every civilization; both the Old and New Testaments say that. Truth is truth. Oh, and I believe there are lots of scriptures telling mortals to TRUST IN THE LORD, which is pretty much the same thing the Hindus and Taoists are saying.

Anyway, I had a lot of angry customers today who were flipping out because their clothes were ruined, their shirts didn't get boxed, or they didn't like the price of a pair of pants. I handled all situations calmly and civilly, but I felt sorry for them (after I said "cuss on a bus" several times to get my anger out when they left). Is it really going to matter in a year whether their shirts were boxed or not? Is it really going to matter that they spent a couple extra bucks on a shirt that got dry cleaned instead of laundered?

...

No. Chill out.

Instead, they get their way because they kick and scream like spoiled three-year-olds, and they don't learn self-mastery and the Way. Don't be attached to material things; nothing is as valuable as learning to master yourself and become one with the Universe.

SO CHILL, A'IGHT?

2 comments:

Amy said...

Ah - I was wondering where all that anger and semi-unwarranted advice came from. ;) And I'm sure Buddhists never get angry or upset. Just like all Mormons perfectly follow our beliefs...;) But it's a good principle to follow - it makes for a happier world, I think. But we also believe in agency, too, and trusting in the Lord, but determining our choices.

The Rambling Taoist said...

The universe is sacred.
You cannot improve it.
If you try to change it, you will ruin it.
If you try to hold it, you will lose it.
~ from the Tao Te Ching ~