Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christmas musings

So I was thinking today (shocking, I know), and I was pondering on the true meaning of Christmas. You know how everyone's always saying that Christmas is about giving, giving, giving? Well, I was thinking of Christ and the Nativity and came to the conclusion that Christmas is also about receiving.

"What?" you're thinking. "This goes against everything I've ever been taught! Including the multiplication tables!"

Some people really have that whole giving thing down. They give so much that whenever you ask what they want for Christmas, they reply, "Oh, nothing" and you're stuck at the store, trying to imagine what they would like best. And then on Christmas morning they say, "Oh, Becca, you didn't have to get me anything. Here's this amazing present that you've wanted for fifteen years."

Since Christ gave His life for us and since He spent His whole life serving, the main lesson most people get from the Nativity is to serve our fellow man.

But think. His sacrifice is totally wasted if we don't choose to humbly receive it. He wants so badly for us to use the Atonement.

So that's why I think that learning how to receive graciously is just as important as learning to give. The end.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Thanks for your thoughts. It's giving me some things to ponder about today.

Amy said...

A-men.