Sunday, September 14, 2008

Friend hierarchy

I use Facebook (the online social network) because it's a way to keep up with my friends that doesn't result in being cyber-preyed. (I read a scary book on cyber predators the other day; Sheep's_Clothing. It gave me nightmares.) However, the term "friend" is loosely defined on Facebook. It's pretty much anyone you know or know through somebody.

For example, I have ninety-one friends on Facebook, but I'd only count twenty-two of them as my real friends. Of the seventy left, I only really really know twenty (likes/dislikes, hobbies, family). The rest are people I know vaguely (brother-in-law's sister, sister-in-law's cousin, random people from school, friend's brother, etc).

In my opinion, there should be a way to differentiate between true friends and random people I would never hang out with. Instead of just a "friend" status, there should be "schoolmate," "vague acqaintance," "acquaintance," "cousin," "friend," and "close friend." There should probably be a "sibling" status, too, in case you aren't friends with your siblings, unlike myself. (Well, except for Josh, but he's on there illegally anyway; the moron changed his birthday so now it says he's 18. Liar!)

Or maybe even a "lackey" status. I have a few of those on Facebook...

Yeah, that's pretty much it. If I don't write for a while, it's because I'm completely engrossed in my schoolwork. Huzzah! I'm so excited for this year. I'll probably drop dead halfway through it, but it will be worth it. I've decided to get a five on the AP Calculus test if it kills me. There is no way I'm EVER taking math during college if I don't have to.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Uh...even if you don't get a 5 on the test, you still don't have to take college in math. Probably. Also, I totally agree with you on the whole "friend" thing. Although then people would know exactly how you feel about them, and it would be interesting to see if the terms matched up between the two people.