Sunday, April 20, 2008

Italy or England?

Here's the low down: at Paradigm, a group goes on educational tours once a year. This year they're going to England for a fortnight and then to Paris for a couple days. I'm supremely jealous because I want to travel! Like my literary counterpart, I ache to explore Europe and old edifices from the past.

I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to do. Next spring they're going to Italy and Greece, which I've heard is a gorgeous tour, and the weather is supposed to be divine. It's roughly $2400, not including passports and spending money.

On the other hand, the year after that they're going to England during the summer. I've always wanted to go to England and see Bath and London and Stratford upon Avon. It's $3600, not including passports and spending money.

I think I want to go to Italy next spring with my Paradigm comrades, and then go to England for a study abroad program in college. I wish I could do both trips, but I need to save money for college. Plus, if I saved $2400 for the Italy trip, I'd need to make $3600 for the England trip the very next summer, and I'd have to get three jobs to do that.

Anyway, I'm an indecisive person like nobody would believe, so please give your input! Also, if anyone has any ideas of how I can make some extra moola, that would also be appreciated.

4 comments:

Brandon said...

I am reasonably interested in helping fund such an expedition.

Becky said...

Italy! Do it. I still haven't made it to Europe to visit so if you can get a chance to go, you totally should. Extra money, hmmm sell your kidney?

SEJL said...

I hear that Italy and Greece are lovely, but I have never been there myself. I have been to England and visited Bath, London and Stratford-upon-Avon and recommend it to anyone who loves literature, as you do. I enjoyed it so much and loved being able to see the sights in Bath and understand first-hand what Miss Austen was talking about in regards to Bath. In her novels where she talks about taking the waters, the architecture, I've seen it and it changed a lot of things for me. Stratford was interesting to see as well and I even got to see "Twelfth Night" performed by the Royal Shakespeare Company, which was an amazing experience.
I guess I would say go to England because as a writer you might benefit more for it. But on the other hand, I hear those other sights are fabulous; I myself intend on visiting Italy one day. Then on the other hand you could visit England on a study abroad in college.
Wow, I suppose I am just as indecisive as you. I don't know if I've helped any, sorry.

SEJL said...

I used a simplicity pattern, but I can't find the number anywhere and I don't have the pattern with me. But McCall M5444 is very similar and was what I was originally going to use but the Simplicity was on sale for $1 so I got that one instead.
I did have to make a chemise to go underneath, which is the white that you see, but that's really easy. We just downloaded a free pattern of the Internet for that.
Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions on types of materials, tips, etc.