Tuesday, January 8, 2008

My nigh insatiable thirst

*A thought-triggering note: Think about this one, people. What else besides actual liquids can people thirst for?*

I am always thirsty, although I'm not entirely sure why. Maybe I was born with screwy glands or I developed an addiction to natural juices in my childhood.

Either way, I don't meet many people as thirsty as I am. In fact, at school there are some kids who never seem to drink at all. It always amazes me that they either refuse to drink anything, or they just swish it around in their mouths and then spit it out to be forgotten in five minutes.

And then there are times when I ask for a drink and my teachers let me go, but only for a minute or two. My classmates always sort of make fun of me, as if I ought to bring my own water bottle rather than ask the teacher so often. What's more, they seem to ask me with their malnourished eyes, oughtn't I be content with the sixteen years of drinking I already have under my belt? Do I really need to drink MORE? Aren't I about ready to explode?

As it is, I like my thirstiness. I can't imagine life without it.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Hmmmm... Thirsty all of the time? Maybe you have diabetes, your nurse mom would say.

Amy said...

Mom missed all the symbolism here. :) I got it though, Jo. Don't ever let anyone quench it--not even yourself.

Sharon said...

Actually, I made the comment to Becca after I had only read the first few lines...

Brandon said...

There's symbolism?

The Village of Randomity said...

Bring a water bottle!!! :)