Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The first day is always awkward

There's an unwritten law of life (or perhaps it is written; I just haven't looked) that says the first day of anything is less than wonderful. Period. I don't care what it is; a job, school, new house, whatever it may be, it will not be the best day of your life. (You married folks will have to tell me if marriage is like that; I personally wouldn't know.)

I started Paradigm High School yesterday. It was like my first day of high school all over again. I didn't know very many people, I had no idea where my classes were, and I just felt like an awkward teenager trying to fit in.

To be fair, I really liked all of my teachers because they were so engaging and personal. The other students seemed nice, too, but it was the whole situation where I'm the new kid and I don't feel very inclined to be the first one to say "Hi!" and they already have their friends and, while they would like to be nice to the new kid, they have to check you out first, and it's just a weird thing for both of you. (Yes, I realize that's a run-on. Only a run-on could describe such a situation.)

Eventually I found someone to sit with at lunch. She's this nice freshman in my chemistry class named Hannah, and she was a friendly individual. I did have to be the first one to make a move, but I was okay with that. I just hope all the times I was kind to the new kid pay off in mucho karma bucks.

It was a very stressful day on the emotions, though. I had to get my transfer papers and signatures from West Jordan, then go to Paradigm and get all that straightened out, then take a test to make sure I'm in the right literature class, and then I didn't have anyone to talk to all day. After school was out (at 3, which is when I'm supposed to be at work), I rushed to my place of employment, and I wanted to strangle every customer who came in with more than 3 articles of clothing. My emotions were more raw than they've been in a while.

After some Korinne therapy, I felt much better. However, I still hoped that today would be better than yesterday.

It was. I don't know why. It just was.

And so, this is your Modern Jo March signing out, feeling content with the world.



PS- A preview of coming attractions:
-My advanced math class where I am one of four people and the only one who hates math.
-What Ms. Hanson (my Jane Austen teacher) is having us do to get in touch with our
18th century selves.
-More things which I have yet to think of!

3 comments:

Amy said...

Yay for Paradigm! I'm glad the second day wasn't as awkward as the first. There's that kharma! ;)

Brandon said...

Wow, you're tough. Two first days of high school... not something kids should have to go through.

At least with a smaller class size for math the teacher will be able to work with you more one-on-one.

Becky said...

What is Paradigm HS?