Thursday, December 20, 2007

A Self-Evaluation

I am armed and dangerous. Some days I wonder why I feel so evil, sarcastic, and mean. And then I remember... "Oh, yeah. Ms. Throatgrab gets me all riled up." (although is it moral of me to blame her for the worst of me bursting out of its ugly bombshell? that's for a later entry.)

So, today I decided that if I switch to Paradigm for no other reason than to finally get a good literature/writing teacher, it'd be good enough for me. In my "language arts" class, we finished watching Remember the Titans (still a good, good movie) and took a test on To Kill a Mockingbird, in which she asked for stupid little minutia and repeated herself a couple times. (for example: "What is Jem's favorite sport?" and "What is Jem's sport of preference?" and "What is the name of the dog with rabies?")

Afterwards, she had us do a self-evaluation on how the novel had changed our prejudices.

Um.................................................................what?

Do you know how many kids actually read the novel? Including myself, maybe half. Maybe. But we never discussed, so what was the point of reading? According to Throatgrab, nothing in the novel was worth discussing, so what was the point of reading?

One girl was talking to me before class and asked, "Hey, Jo? Why is it called To Kill a Mockingbird?" It was a genuine question, and I knew that she really did want to know, so I answered it. A light of comprehension flashed in her eyes and she said, "Oh! That's really cool! Why didn't Throatgrab explain that? It only took you like thirty seconds."

Because thirty seconds explaining an enlightening, mind-broadening idea is thirty seconds we could be using to answer "Who is Zeebo?" Moronic woman...

ANYway, so, the evaluation was the stupidest thing I've ever read. I used all of my sarcasm and irony and splashed it onto the page. They were okay questions, but I refused to give her the answers that she wanted. The final question was "Do you stand up for people who can't stand up for themselves?" Of course I do. If the person can't defend themselves for whatever reason, I lash out at their attacker like Gracie Hart on Miss Texas.

But then there was a follow-up question. "How can you benefit from standing up for others?" Um, if I wanted benefits, what sort of altruist would I be? I'm not doing it for me; I'm doing it for them. Any benefit I get isn't important to me. So I threw out, "Warm fuzzies and an army of sycophants at my command."

Way to kill a warm fuzzy moment, eh?

I wonder if she even knows what sycophants are. She certainly doesn't have any...

1 comment:

The Village of Randomity said...

Who is this throatgrab character? I'm pretty sure there is no one in the faculty at WJHS under that name. And you write angry Becca. Just thought you should know :)