Wednesday, December 12, 2007

First Post

Okay, first post! (not including the introductory one)
I kind of want this to be a place to put positive things, not just whining and griping like some blogs. Unfortunately for you, though, I had a pretty lame day. BUT I'm always going to start with something optimistic because there's always something that is going right even when everything else is horrendous.

****************POSITIVE****************

I got to sing with my choir at a middle school today, and our teacher was there to play the piano. No one can play/lead like Mr. Dehaan! It was the first time that we got to see the Madrigals perform, too, and they did this weird/cool number where they dinged and donged a lot while hitting each other. It was very innovative.

****************************

And now for the other stuff. As I mentioned before, my language arts class is about the most frustrating class I've had to endure since seventh grade. I don't suppose that it would annoy me as much as it does had I not gone to a charter school last year, but I can't stand it. You know how there are some teachers who can get away with taxing assignments because you know they care? They can assign you long, hard essays because you know that they'll read them and judge on your content, not just your grammar? My teacher is not one of those teachers. I don't believe I've ever been so disgusted with someone of the human race before. We're reading To Kill a Mockingbird in class, which is arguably one of the best novels ever published, and we don't ever discuss ANYTHING. We actually had a silent discussion today, which consisted of writing down questions, answers, and comments on a piece of paper and sending it around the classroom. Did anyone get anything out of it? Nope. Not a single person. The sad thing isn't even that my brains are melting and I want to bash my head against the wall in a blinding flash of gore and little gray cells. The sad thing is that my classmates are missing out on the greater points of To Kill a Mockingbird. They're missing the symbolism, and the deeper levels of prejudice besides just blacks vs. whites, like men vs. women and grown ups vs. children. Granted that most of them don't really care, my teacher's lack of care or concern is robbing them of one of the best literary treasures ever penned.

At parent/teacher conferences, my mum talked to my teacher about it. She asked when we would actually have some deep, real discussions. Do you know what Ms. Throatgrab said? She said, "If Jo wants a deep discussion, maybe she should lead it." And do your job? Yeah, that sounds like a great idea. I'll gladly take over your job if you go get a job somewhere where you can actually do what you're supposed to do.

I don't mean to be whiny, but why become a language arts teacher if you're not passionate about it and if you don't even like kids? It certainly isn't for the pay...

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Your awsum Jo.

But seriously, I love you. Great post... I loved your use of ***POSITIVE***.

One note... use smaller paragraphs. It's tough to read huge blocks of text on the web.

See you next week.